Friday 11 April 2014

Sponsor Juan as he carries 8ft cross 60km for unborn children

Juan Rios Perez 05 Tomorrow Juan Rios Perez flys out from London to Spain, where he will start a 60km sponsored walk for SPUC across the island of Mallorca, carrying a cross almost eight foot in height (exact size 240cm x 132cm).

Juan's walk will start at Lloseta and finish at the Oratory of San Salvador, Felanitx. He writes:
"I was born in the south of Spain (Malaga) to a family of traditional Spanish Catholic farmers. In 1980, I met my wife (Deborah) from London, on the island of Mallorca.  Two years later we wed in 1982.

My daughter Sophia was born 3 years later in 1985. By that time I had a business with my wife which stagnated during the late 1980s recession. By the end of 1988 we decided to sell our business as it had become difficult to keep running. We made the decision to move to London, my wife's home-city for good.

My son Jonathan was born upon my first year in the UK. At that time I was working as a professional photographer. I later changed my career, as I had very little quality-time to spend with my wife and children due to the work commitments of a professional photographer. In February 1991, I took a two-year catering course at Westminster College and qualified as a chef in July 1993.

Unfortunately, in June 2000, my wife was diagnosed with cancer. She was given all the treatment possible but passed away in August 2001. Her death changed my life, and since then I have dedicated myself to Jesus, to preaching His word and reading Sacred Scripture.

Today, I am an active member of the pro-life movement. It is my voluntary sacrifice to raise money for the protection of unborn children. As a devout Catholic, my priority is always to serve God and my family all the days of my life."
To sponsor Juan, visit https://www.spuc.org.uk/support/donations or telephone SPUC on 020 7091 7091.

Comments on this blog? Email them to johnsmeaton@spuc.org.uk
Sign up for alerts to new blog-posts and/or for SPUC's other email services
Follow SPUC on Twitter
Like SPUC's Facebook Page
Please support SPUC. Please donate, join, and/or leave a legacy